Thursday, January 15, 2015

The best fucking rush.....ever!

I am very confident I will win many more great bets over time. Because I know how to do that and I can do it well.
But even if I don't ever win another decent bet, this night will burn in my memory as the culmination of 30 plus years of learning how to play the horses right. 

About 18 months ago I was at the races and my good friend Garnet Barnsdale was there. I hit a decent exactor in the first race. Do you remember that Garnet? You probably don't. I only do because we had discussed the horses earlier that day, and I picked Speed Again  in the FFA and he won, giving me a great exactor in the 1st race. I picked a few others correctly that night, but didn't bet really, because I had a life changing moment. 

That was lightbulb moment number 1. 

Why could I pick a race like that, so right, yet not be making the money I should have been making all along?
Then a month later, I was out for dinner with my 3 high school friends, all of which I had and have known since 1979 when we met in Grade 9.  My best friend Mark noted that I always had a theory about how data could give you an edge and winners. I had dabbled in it for many years, but never really put enough time and effort into it to refine it to the point that it was a really viable system, when added to what I already could do.


That was light bulb moment number 2. 

So, for the next 18 months, I worked my butt off refining my system and re-teaching myself how to bet properly. I had many ups and downs, mostly playing with pretend money so I could learn and not worry about losing real money. Cause that shit can play with your mind as many of us know.
I got it to the point a few months ago where it was consistent system and I was making real money. You have to do it with real money, even if it is small, or it is never real enough. I played very small though. Smaller than even a small time bettor like me normally would. It isn't and wasn't about the money.
But I knew I wasn't there yet. Tonight,  I arrived. It's not about the money. I have money. I don't really need it. I want validation, and now I have it. I got it right because I did it right and I figured it out.
I could easily just stop and walk away now. Die happy. I wanted to achieve a goal, and I have. I wont, because I still enjoy it. I like figuring things out. It's what I've always done.
But if and when the time comes that I just want to stop, and go back to heading out to the races once a week on a Friday or Saturday night, or a fun Sunday afternoon at Woodbine with the sun shining on my back and the smell of the horses in the walking ring, then I can do that. In my mind, I beat the game tonight.
No, that isn't correct. I didn't beat the game. Nobody beats the game. I solved the part I always wanted to solve about it. To me, that is beating the game.

It's the best fucking rush I've ever had. Being right and proving myself is worth more amount of money than exists in the world. I did that tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment